[TowerTalk] Florida Ham fights UV - uses tape???????????

tgstewart@pepco.com tgstewart@pepco.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:02:01 -0400

F12 uses the UV resistant gray PVC.

Havent heard anyone complain about it's longevity, but they are still
relatively new.  It certainly couldnt hurt to wrap them in tape tho.

I have heard of their center insulator fiberglass breaking down due to
unmentionable foreign material being deposited on the fiberglass.   A layer
of tape there may help that situation as well.

73, Ty K3MM

                    "James White"
                    <k4oj@tampabay.rr.co        To:     "tower talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
                    m>                          cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     [TowerTalk] Florida Ham fights UV - uses tape???????????
                    owner-towertalk@cont
                    esting.com

                    10/24/2000 08:15 AM

In their instruction manual, Force 12 refers to the pvc tubing insulators
for the elements having an approximate expected life span of about five (5)
years since they are underneath and protected from direct sunlight by the
mounting plates...

Here in Florida, the UV capital of the world (actually I believe that
distinction goes to Key Largo) UV is devastating...a question:

I have seen gray pvc used for electrical conduit versus the white used for
plumbing applications...the gray stuff in Home Depot is marked UV
resistant...would it be better to go with UV resistant PVC or use F12's
suggestion of simply quenching the UV by taping over the PVC?

Taping over is easy enough to do but not very "professional" - I try to
design our antennas so they can stay up for a sunspot cycle if at all
possible...even if I coat the tape with scotchcoat this is crude at best
and
if the same results could be obtained by switching out the PVC I would
prefer that...

 Your input is appreciated, almost as much as an SS CW contact!!!

73,

Jim, K4OJ

West
Central