[TowerTalk] Lightning... and pointed rods!

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@VRINTER.NET
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:13:39 -0400

Sorry, Norm, but the spline balls working that way (as they
were originally touted) is just not true (please substitute
a much stronger but politically incorrect term).  When I was
at PolyPhaser, we used to provide a video from two TV
stations and the FAA in Tampa proving the incorrectness of
these beliefs.  The one from the FAA (just before the camera
stopped running) clearly shows one of these "hedgehogs"
being hit.  The FAA was interested in them (for obvious
reasons) until the truth became obvious.  Then they were
touted in another manner.

The reason everybody thought that they worked as claimed is
because usually the site had a poor grounding system (the
grounding system is the "make or break" of any good
protection system).  When the hedgehogs were installed, the
grounding system was improved at that time.  Now lightning
damage became minimal or non-existant.  Ergo, it must be the
hedgehog.

73
Bob AA0CY/3
PolyPhaser Technical Consultant, 1994-1997