[TowerTalk] Question: Which way to offset 40m yagi?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:45:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/26/00 3:30:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jmaass@columbus.rr.com writes:

> Which direction do those who offset a 40 meter yagi from a
>  tribander on the same mast?
>
>  My guess is that offsetting the 40m yagi by -90 degrees is most
>  flexible for contesters in the north with a normal north-centered
>  rotor control box. This would mean that a clockwise swing from
>  South to South of the 'primary' antenna would swing the 40m
>  antenna clockwise from West to West.
>
>  Is this the conclusion and practice of those who have already done it?

    In the 'good olde days' (pre-402CD), the most widely used 40M antenna by
competitive stations was the KLM 4L. For some reason it had interaction
problems which were solved by many stations by turning it 90 degrees from the
tribanders.

    The CC 402CD (and other shorty forties) never exhibited this problem and
it was unnecessary to turn it out-of-line with other antennas. My experience
with the XM240 is that turning it 90 degrees made the problem worse.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech