[TowerTalk] Ground system

Rick Bullon kc5ajx@hotmail.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:36:03 GMT

Hello All
I am in the process of installing a tower ( been in the process for a l o n
g time hihi) My plan for a tower ground and shack ground are listed below.
All comments as to whether I am on the right track are encourage.
For the tower ground I plan to planted 3 ground rods about 3 ft out from
each leg of the tower. I have about 15 or 20 ft of scrap copper tubing  that
was kinked at one time and had to be replaced ( this was the supply line
from my propane tank to the house). I plan to flatten this tubing and use it
for the run from each leg to the ground rods. I think this tubing is 3/4"
diameter (the tower will be 70' of Rohn 25). I will be using 10' ground
rods, should I go out another 5' and sink 3 more rods and tie all the rods
together or is there a better way?

For the shack ground I have at this time  a 10 gauge copper wire running
from a ground rod up thru a board in the window of the shack. Each piece of
equipment in the shack has a ground wire that is connected to this wire by
way of a split copper bolt designed to connect wires together.
I know all this is a start and probably not a decent ground system but I
have read thru all the archives and with so many different ways that other
have done this I am not sure how to improve this further
The shack ground and the tower ground with be about 120' apart should I run
a wire between the two systems or leave them separate? Don't tell me to
connect the station ground to the utility company ground. The utility
company's idea of a ground is a joke. 1 6 or 8 gauge wire running the length
of the power pole to a thin 4" diameter copper plate nailed to the bottom of
the pole, no ground rod and the telephone company uses the same ground
All the coax and control lines for the rotor and antenna switch are going to
be protected by PolyPhaser units although after seeing the PolyPhaser and
ICE units I may decide to buy ICE units they look better built to me.
73
Rick
KC5AJX