Re[2]: [TowerTalk] What's a "Good Grounding System"??

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:39:07 -0400

Hello Jerry,

Lots of questions to answer.....let me take them one at a time.

The tower is a Heights Tower Systems freestanding aluminum tower at
96' tall.  That gives me 28 Sq. Ft. windsail at 80 MPH in Class B
environment. I'll be placing the following antennas on that tower on a
Chrome Moly mast:

Force12 C31XR
Force12 Mag240N
Force12 WARC 2/2
Diamond H700 2M/440M

I'll also put a Diamond F23A 2M antenna much lower on the tower for a
24/7 packet/weather station.

The rotor will be a Prosistle BigBoy P61

Regarding the rebar and base, Heights requires a 4' diameter, 8' deep
hole with a rebar cage 3" inside the hole/form for my tower.  Since I
was building on the side of a ridge (shown in the picture), I decided
to go down 14' to make sure I was on virgin soil.  The ridge in that
picture was, in part created - not natural ground.  I simply extended
the rebar cage with the same pattern specified by Heights, down to the
bottom of the 14' deep hole.

The specific pattern you should use for rebar should be spelled out by
your tower manufacturer.  It also varies depending on the type of
tower you use, as well as the height/size. For instance, a
freestanding tower has much different requirements than a guyed tower,
etc.   While too much rebar won't hurt you, not having enough, or not
having it placed in the proper manner for your specific tower COULD
hurt you.  Additionally, if you're having your tower inspected, you'll
need this information for the inspection.

If your ground is rock, I suggest more ground rods.  Be careful how
you install them though, there must be 2x the distance from the tower
to the ground rod between any two ground rods from different tower
legs. Example, if you put a ground rod 8' from the tower leg, there
must be 16' between the first ground rod, and the closest ground rod
from ANOTHER tower leg ground rod.  If you don't follow this, you will
have overlapping saturation areas and reduce the effectiveness of the
ground.   I strongly urge you to get a copy of the Polyphaser book
called "Lightning Protection and Grounding Solutions for Communication
Sites".  Some of the reading (IMHO) is not as clearly written as it
could be, but the book has a wealth of information.  The book will
also spell out how to add additional rods to a single ground line from
a tower leg to insure they are effective and do not overlap each
other.  Also, don't give up on length because of rock.  Use a heavy
duty, large chuck, hammer drill to drive the rod in as deep as
possible, and cut it off as long as it can be.  Again, the book talks
about what to do in the case of rock, and will help you greatly. Don't
be in a hurry -- the results of your installation will be with you a
long, long time.

As to the relatives <G>  None that I know of.  But then, I've been
surprised before!

I'm posting this to the list as there seems to be several interested
in the tower grounding schemes.  Good luck and let me know how it
goes.

73's from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!