[TowerTalk] lightning

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:12:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/27/00 6:46:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, N8NGA@one.net
writes:

> I do have a comment though on one point you made.  In all the
>  literature on grounding systems I've read, there is no place where
>  they say you must go to the water table.  That would be nearly
>  impossible for most.  Think about it -- your house ground (and
>  everyone else's) doesn't go in at the level of the water table, or you
>  will have one very wet basement <G>  Also, the water table will vary
>  depending on time of year, water conditions, etc.

    You also reach a point of diminishing returns as far as length goes.
Having to connect with the water table is pretty bogus since it varies as Bob
has mentioned. I suppose a lightning strike goes looking for a spot where the
water table is high - NOT!

>  The effectiveness of a ground system depends on the soil conditions.
>  Most of the time you will have enough moisture content, and soil
>  chemical composition to have a very effective ground if you use 8'
>  ground rods.  Many will work quite well with 4' ground rods.

    Or ones laid horizontally.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech