[TowerTalk] wind load vs Rohn specs

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 21:21:18 -0700

Al Williams wrote:

> Please, will someone define just what is meant by projected area and
> windload.  Also, what is the relationship between the two? (not in terms of
> numbers but in words).  Is there a place on the internet where this
> information is available?

The projected area of an item is its length x width when normal (perpendicular)
to the wind.

The windload is either the load developed on the antenna by the wind and applied
as a concentrated load on the tower, or a distributed load applied to the tower
by the wind.

Try http://www.heightstowers.com/engspecs.htm    it gives some good coverage of
towers and the UBC.

> I am trying to follow the analysis for Triex LM470 and US Tower HDX572.
> Although I have two engineering degrees,  some of the terms and
> abbreviations used by the structural and civil engineers are unfamiliar to
> me.  What is Cq, Qs, Ce, fa, Fa?  Also, Triex analysis has all of the tower
> section loads stated as "Unif. Load" whereas the antennas and mast loads are
> stated as "Con. Load".
>
> Tower Talk seems the perfect place for this topic!
>
> k7puc

Hank covered the definitions.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV