[TowerTalk] FCC RF Safety Regs Info Sept 1

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:11:26 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2000 9:54:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dj2001@isd.net
writes:

>  Well I suppose HF is not harmful,,,,at least thats what I've been
>  led to believe, but..I do know that when I worked on aircraft and the
>  search radar antenna was being tested that we had to stay a minimum
>  of 25 feet from it,  (The joke was) that is if we wanted to raise a
>  family.  This was long before any attention was given to this stuff.
>  We all know the effects of the microwave oven, don't put your pet cat
>  in it.
>
>  Dale J.
>  K9VUJ

Tom, W8JI summarized it very well based on known facts.

There is a big difference between HF (up to 30 MHz) and UHF (above 300 MHz)
frequencies. It is known and proven that UHF frequencies cause heating, and
sterility (cheap birth control?). Those effects are known and precautions are
being taken to minimize the danger (heating). Joe, WA2SPL almost lost his
sight when was working on UHF antenna and someone keyed the rig, fortunately
his sight returned after a while. The frequency makes big difference. The
point is that "formulas" have no base in real life effects, and are another
tool in hands of idiots who don't like hams and want to silence us!

Yuri, K3BU