[TowerTalk] Ham product engineering - the FINAL post

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:58:42 EDT

In a message dated 09/02/2000 11:21:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

> > As for the antenna accomplishments posted here- it seems a certain
>  > population of  "tower talk junkies"  live for bashing antenna testimonies
>  > with computer models and slide rules.  Yet a certain number of them, help
>  > make and/or design MFJ products.  Some products that I've personally
>  > experienced a 50-100% failure rate with when trying them out-

      Just to clear the record.

    An engineer only designs the gear. It's up to the company (maybe it's
MFJ) to actually build it. The QC goes on at the manufacturer - not the
designer. It's like writing a book and then it's made into a movie -
sometimes you as the designer/writer barely recognize the finished product.

    Please also keep in mind that with very few exceptions, EVERYTHING is
driven by cost. So instead of those high cost, precision parts that the
designer has specified, the manufacturer might very well use something that
works okay but is cheaper to build. No one in the ham marketplace is more
well-known for low priced, mediocre products than MFJ. The idea might be
there but the execution is sommetimes poor. They do manufacture a number of
really good products primarily with the product-lines they've purchased so I
don't want to make a blanket statement about all their products.

    But the 'blame' always sits on the shoulders of the manufacturer who is
giving you 'something' for your dollars.

    Also, hams are a bunch of the cheapest bastards around. While you want a
'commercial' type product, there's no way you're gonna pay for it. So let's
leave Tom (a pretty bright guy and very valuable contributor to TowerTalk)
alone and you can vote with your dollars about what you spend your money on.

    EOT (end of thread).

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech