[TowerTalk] wind load vs Rohn specs

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 03:27:41 +0000

At 09:58 PM 9/2/00 EDT, Tower2sell@aol.com wrote:

>Yes they are two different codes; but the projected area values listed in
ROHN's catalog do not include shape factors. And for the math impaired I
will give 3 examples.

>Take the ROHN guyed 25G 70 mph towers and look up the 40, 50 and 60 foot
towers

>40'
>Round 18.4x1.2=22.08
>Flat 11.0x2.0=22.0
>
>50'
>Round 17.5x1.2=21
>Flat  10.5x2=21
>
>60'
>Round 16.8x1.2=20.16
>Flat 10.1x2=20.2
>
>As you can tell there is a pattern that you don't need to have the CIA
decipher for you. As a matter of fact ROHN works in EPA and backfigured the
flat or round for simplicity.

'Scuse me, teacher, but unless you explain it better than that I don't
think you'll convince anyone.  It looks to me as if Rohn has downrated
appropriately for flat member antennas.  Now what were you trying to prove?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at