[TowerTalk] rf radiation

Craig Clark nx1g@top.monad.net
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 20:53:12 -0400

Over 23 years ago, a fellow by the name of Brodeur wrote a book titled "The
Zapping of America." Ham Radio Magazine's bookstore (my alma mater) carried
the book and sold quite a few copies. His premise was that electrical power
lines were causing cancer in a number of communities.
The problems was that there was no conclusive evidence that his theory  was
correct. His book dealt in innuendo and half truths..."a friend of a friend
has a friend who contracted ......" you know the story.

A few years later, the New Yorker magazine ran a rather long and tedious
follow up article where Brodeur made additonal claims that cell phones were
carcinogenic agents. Again, claims were made but the "facts" were without
proof.

Alarmed by the possible impact on the amateur radio hobby, Stu Cowan of
Radio Publications, Skip Tenney, Joe Schroeder, Dorothy Rosa, myself and a
few others started collecting everything we could find about this
"potential" problem. The League also formed a committee. Wayne Overbeck,
N6NB, was also involved in these efforts (If I forgot to mention someone, I
apologize. I'm getting forgetful in my older age. :-)

In a nutshell, after much research, while there were concerns, there was NO
conclusive proof that RF radiation caused cancer. There are concerns over
ionizing radiation (RF that changes the state of matter.) But non-ionizing
radiation, most amateur applications, does not have any links to hightened
levels of cancer.

The problem is the methodology of epidemiological studies...how do you
account for all the variables. For instance, an alcoholic smoker, who is a
TV Broadcast engineer and ham, who also moonlights in a metal cleaning shop
that used tricholoroethelyne (sp?) develops cancer. What caused the cancer?

I am not a doctor and I don't claim to be an expert. I share this only as
an example of how "members of the community" can bend "facts" to meet their
needs. Show me a study that proves that a tower lowers the resale value of
a house.

FWIW....

73 Craig W1JCC

73 Craig Clark W1JCC