[TowerTalk] Rotor Problem-Tailtwister Help Needed

Ed Gray W0SD w0sd@rapidnet.com
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 21:46:09 -0500

I have a Tailtwister that has excellent torgue CW but I can stop it with my
hands quite readily CCW.

It turns Stop to Stop, indication works fine and voltages seem reasonable.
One can noticeably tell the motor is running faster CW than CCW which is
the problem direction.  I tried a different capacitor and I also wired the
motor direct bypassing the limit switches, etc.  IE I had it on the test
bench and ran 28 VAC to one motor lead with the black lead grounded and
then ran 28 VAC to the other lead with the same results. I had a brand new
AC capacitor across the two motor leads.  I still have the same problem.

I now figure I have this figured out and that the CCW winding in the motor
is bad so I put in another motor and to my amazement I still have the same
problem.

I can spin the gear that the motor drives both ways so it is free and moves
the outer rig gear fine and it appears to turn just as easy CCW as CW doing
it by hand so it appears that CCW the motor just does not have any torque.

Could I have two bad motors and BOTH have a bad CCW winding.

I am baffeled.

I am in need of some fresh input as I have spent all of Labor day and I
have not fixed this "SUCKER"!  Any ideas on what the problem is or some
other tests I could do to determing the problem.

BTW is MFJ up and producing these yet and do they have parts.  I have a lot
of parts so I should be OK but don't remember seeing on the reflector that
they are up and running yet?

Thanks,

73, Ed W0SD
Ed Gray