[TowerTalk] RF Fields

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:19:01 -0400

From:           	K7GCO@aol.com
Date sent:      	Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:17:50 EDT

> Tom:  Your explanation has some merrit but if I lived in that house I'd
> like to have you as a test medium in that field for a long peroid of
> time--I need to be sure.  If you can still spell dB after some time I'd
> consider it at least W8JI safe.  We may never know the full affects of
> certain fields unless they really cook you.

It's all easily calculated, the heating effects are very well
documented.

If the RF field is below a certain level, it will cause no temperature
rise. Fortunately we have built in temperature regulation, as well as
reasonably good thermal conductivity and thermal inertia thanks to
circulation of a liquid through our bodies.

RF is non-ionizing radiation. It either creates damage from heat, or
it doesn't do anything. It does not cause accumulated harmful
effects over time like ionizing radiation.

> possible.  25 years from now those that assured various things were safe
> that prove not to be, present an irreversible problem.  Those who mislead
> us based on short term tests frequently aren't around to take the
> consequences like the Cigarette Co's.  As far as all those rats or mice
> they used for testing--I think we need a stronger breed of test rats and
> mice.

This has all be tested and reviewed on human tissue, as well as on
"rats and mice".

The people I worked with had been evaluating the biological effects
of EM fields for well over 20 years. Much of the early equipment
that I re-designed was tube-type gear! One would think hundreds of
researchers looking hard at one problem for well over 20 years day
after day would have found some small correlation between
cancers and non-ionizing radiation.

> In case you haven't been doing your medical reading, asprin isn't as safe
> as it was once proclaimed for 50 years either.

Being a teacher isn't as safe as it was 50 years ago either. Neither
is sex.

Most of us realize those three things, aspirin, teaching, and sex
have nothing to do with EM fields. (With the exception that being
on the radio too much might affect the last example in a negative
way.)

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com