[TowerTalk] 45ag2 top section inside diameter??

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:02:17 EDT

In a message dated 09/05/2000 3:02:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
w7ni@teleport.com writes:

> My Rohn Catalog shows the 45AG2 has 2 3/8" OD 2" Standard Pipe at the
>  top.  Since pipe is measured using the ID, a 2" pipe has a 2" ID.  I have
>  no idea what the tolerances are for this ID measurement and you have to
>  bear in mind that you need to allow some clearance if you are planning to
>  put a rotating mast inside of it.  You probably need about 0.050"
>  clearance for a good fit and still allow rotation without binding.  I
>  think you will end up needing an odd sized mast which might be hard to
>  find.
>
>  Better you should consider getting a 45AG3 top which uses 2 1/4" OD 14
>  guage tubing at the top and matches a 2 inch OD mast very well.  I know
>  this sounds expensive, but it will certainly cause you a LOT less trouble
>  trying to match a mast to it.  If you go with an odd sized mast, then you
>  have to worry about it fitting the rotator and antenna mounting hardware
>  properly . . .

    Better you should go with a 45AG5 which has a 2.75-inch OD. My guess at
the mast capacity of the original 45AG2 appears to be incorrect.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech