[TowerTalk] Club Station Vertical querry.. reply de K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:02:02 -0500

Dear Ulysses
How about taking the club money and buy some tubing and build a real good
vertical or set of verticals. If you describe your needs and site situation
(in other words will it be on the building roof permanently, will you take
it out for field day etc.), I'm sure the members of the reflector will help
you guy's with ideas for some real nice project ideas that will net a better
than storebought antenna system, and allow the members to learn a little
along the way.

73 Geo>K0FF

PS in general, traps are not a good thing, and antennas that cover 9 bands
are generally compromises ( that's being generous) also if you run short on
funds/availability  of material for a construction project, sing out. I and
others here have extensive "junk boxes", and are always willing to donate to
a good cause. Geo-----Original Message-----
From: kd4rwn@bellsouth.net <kd4rwn@bellsouth.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 7:48 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] R8 Vertical - Comments Wanted for Club Station

Hello All,

My Club is about to undertake some antennas upgrades. One
of the projects is getting a new vertical. Our old vertical, The HF-
6VX Butternut, is nearing the end of its useful life and we were
never really happy with it. After some research, the club is leaning
toward an R8 From Cushcraft.

What im looking for is some comments from owners or people
who have used this vertical before. There are some dissenting
opinions in our group, From guys who have had bad experiences
with other cushcraft verticals, like the R7000.. Basically, They
made it seem like the 1st time it gets wet, when u try running more
than 5W power through it, The Traps Arc and the antenna melts
into a pool of metal. Well, not that bad, but u get the idea.

So if anyone out there can can speak 1st or even 2nd hand
about the R8, reliability, performance, etc; this club station would
love to hear from you. We are not really intrestead in another
butternut or even a gap because they are so similar in design, and
we are not very happy with the 1 we have (Tuning Probs,
Maintenance, etc). But ill welcome comments about everything..

73's

Ulysses Rodriguez - KD4RWN
President - University Of Central Florida ARC (K4UCF)
Member: ARRL, FCG, WWYC # 77
kd4rwn@arrl.net