[TowerTalk] 10 meter to 11 meter antenna-Super Scanner

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:38:05 EDT

The antenna Tom asked about is indeed the Super Scanner-  It is three
aluminum 1/2 wave dipoles you can either use as a beam, or run omni
directional.  I used one for years growing up in the late 70's and had a
blast with it during the CB craze-

I also used a Moonraker 4, which is a 4 element beam, that incorporated 4
vertical, and 4 horizontal elements,  that you could run vertical, horizontal
and/or both. Looked like a mono-band quad-

Both antennas came with special switches.  The super scanner used a desk top
box switch that had 3 red LED lights in a triangle pattern.  You just plugged
it in, and used a knob to switch to the antenna of choice, N, SW or SE, or
could set it for an omni directional pattern. It controlled relays at the
antenna.

The moonraker 4 used a desk top mechanical switch to run horizontal,
vertical, or both and had the need for two feedlines going out to the
antenna.  Each beam so to say had it's own gamma match as I recall.

Both antennas could be converted to 10 meters. But many freeband radio
operators around the world use, or did use, these antennas in the so called
free band radio zone between 10 and 11 meters centered around 27.555USB, with
no problems-

I don't know if either antennas are still being made, but I see a lot of
super scanners on top of truck stop buildings etc.......Most are typically
missing an element or two- or part of one- leaving a puzzle to many people
wondering what "it" was up there-

I think you can discover a beat up Super Scanner or Moonraker 4 in just about
every town hanging up sideways somewhere-

Anyhow, if you ever want to see just how alive freebanding around the world
is, just listen in around 27.555USB some day when 10 meters is open- and the
QSO's taken place all around this frequency, +- 300KHz, and you will be
amazed- The FCC seems to have allowed this space to be used for a couple
generations now- as have other countries- The reason I bring up this taboo
subject is that these types of antennas,  were designed, in part,  with this
market in mind.

Most of you already know about this, but just in case you ever get bored
waiting for 10 meters to open, you can listen here and realize what we gave
up in trading in 11 meters- I can't tell you how many times this part of the
band seems open (MUF) when 10 is dead-

73 Paul N0AH