[TowerTalk] Flexible jumper on top of the tower ? *reply DE K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:58:01 -0500

Here we get RG-389 on the surplus market and it's inexpensive and quite
flexible. I use it for the flex section between the hardline and relay box
on the crankup towers. Don't know how well it would stand up around the
rotor, but a large loop would take most of the stress away. )I'll report on
that later as there are some UHF applications coming up that can't stand the
extra connectors involved in the usual setup, and will require a straight
piece all the way from the bulkhead to the feedpoint). It's rated at 2000V
RMS and 8KW is only 632V. The 1/4 inch of stranded center conductor will
take a lot of current and the Neoprene outer covering is pretty much
impervious. The sections available here come with LC connectors on each end.
At .875 diameter it is a lot larger than the RG 225 which is only .390, so
the loss factors will be lower.

Question: What connectors do you use, and what kind of relays to handle such
high power?

Comment: I always put the relay box above the rotor with the understanding
that the rotor loop is the weak link and will eventually need to be
replaced. No need to replace multiple cables that way, nor is there a need
to take the antennas down to reach the feedpoint, which may be many feet
from the center.