[TowerTalk] X9 plus 40m

Jim wb6yaw@dreamsoft.com
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:28:10 -0700

My how fast we all forget. No, Cushcraft wasn't optimistic.  They flat lied
about the 2 element 40 meter option being available.  They couldn't deliver so
they made it a rotatable dipole which as far as I know is still available.   I
suppose it works ok as such.  Many people sent their X9s back over this
incident.  I'd already put mine up and decided it was too much to take it down.
It's a decent performer but it's still a tribander and as such a compromise
antenna.  If I'd waited a few months I'd have bought the C31XR when it came out.
>From the conversations I've had on the air, the X9 really likes to be up over 60
feet.  Mines at 42 feet and has some odd SWR characteristics on 20.  I believe
that the log cell loading has a lot to do with that.  It does work fairly decent
on 12 & 17 too with a tuner.

If your tower can handle it, a nice combination would be the C31XR (or X9) with
a small Force 12 40 meter 2 element mounted 15 feet or so above it.  If you do
get the X9, you might want to disassemble the balun and make sure all the
connections are mechanically tight.  I heard there was some problems in that
area. As far as I know, mines never had that problem.

Good DX
Jim
WB6YAW