[TowerTalk] X9 plus 40m

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 05:50:31 -0600

N4KG comments follow original question and response.

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000  K7LXC@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 09/07/2000,
> Mirko.Baumgartner@t-online.de writes:
>
> > Does anybody has experience with the performance of
> >  the X9 from CC ?
> >
> >  I would like to know how the antennas performs with
> >  the 40m Add on Kit.... Does the 40m Rotary works as
> >  good as a single antenna without so much alu. around ???
> >
>     I'm pretty sure that the 40M add-on is not part of the antenna
> anymore.  Cushcraft was a little optimistic when they announced
> the 40M add-on  feature  and then couldn't deliver.
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
> Tower Tech

Steve,

Your comment is true for the 2L40 addition.
I believe they still offer a 40M DIPOLE addition
which rides behind the high band driven elements.

The high band elements will be nearly invisible to
a 40M dipole.  Hopefully by mounting the dipole
behind the driven elements, there is little interaction
on the high bands.  This will be dependentent on
the Length and Termination (short or open) of the
40M transmission line so interactions can be changed
by changing the length or termination of the 40M feedline.

The 40M dipole addition should work, but it certainly
distorts the mechanical balance and windload.  Best
to mount a 40M dipole ABOVE the X9 or match the boom
as an end loaded dipole on 40M (and / or 30M).

de  Tom  N4KG
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.