[TowerTalk] Stubs

E. Glenn Wolf, Jr. egwolfjr@email.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:34:13 -0500

Posted for Bob KQ2M - reply direct to kq2m@mags.net

Gentleman,

I know that this has been discussed before on this reflector so forgive me
for asking again.

I have some 1/2" and 3/4" CATV hardline.  I would like to make some
txmit/rcv stubs but don't know how to measure them with an MFJ-259.  (I have
previously made many 1/4 and 1/2 wave coax lines with the MFJ).  Any
general guidance that could be provided would be most welcome.

I also have some specific questions....

1) I assume that the stubs should be 1/4 wave?  Should they be shorted on
one end?  If so, what is the best way to accomplish that?

2) Anyone know the approximate Velocity factors for the 1/2" and 3/4" CATV
hardline?  (Not gas-filled) just regular CATV stuff.  (1/2" is bare
aluminum jacket, 3/4" has black PVC jacket).

3) I assume that the length of the stub should be from connector tip to
connector tip?

4) Any suggestions on the cheapest place to obtain CATV to PL259connectors?

5) I  know that someone, at one time,  posted a band by band list of which
stubs (and what lengths) should be used for each band.  Can anyone direct
me to that list?

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

73

Bob KQ2M