[TowerTalk] Verticals of Telescoping Aluminum

George, W2VJN w2vjn@rosenet.net
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:36:23 -0700

Several people asked about irrigation tubing.

The couplings that are sold for it are
water tight, but not strong.  Since it's tubing it's 4" OD.   I
found some 4"
aluminum  pipe in the junk yard and took it to a machine shop to
have it cut up nicely.  Then, I used really large self tapping
screws all around the joint in two rows.  The 4" comes in 20, 30
and 40 ' lengths.  The 6" stuff comes in 20 and 30' lengths.  A
40 foot, 4" mast needs two sets of guys.  With a 12 foot gin pole
and some rope one person can erect them.  Of course, you need to
guy 4 ways.  I use 4" PVC pipe at the base for the insulators,
also cut by a machinist.

Another way to splice it is with a piece of itself split
vertically and lots of screws.

George, W2VJN