[TowerTalk] 80 Fone/CW ant reply de K0FF

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:08:48 -0400

> Tom I have the same problem myself and have found no automatic or remote
> controlled gimmick to be reliable under full power transmitting. The stub
> idea may have some merit, but only at the feedpoint, not the ends. To
> dangerous to fool around out there. Look in the ARRL Handbook at the array
> of sloping dipoles for 40M, they used a similar technique to lengthen the
> undriven elements and make reflectors out of them. Perhaps you can do so,
> and still feed the antenna with another cable. I never tried that. Also I
> refer you to the April 1989QST article by AI1H entitled _"The Coaxial
> Resonator Match and the Broadband Dipole". Franks' article has been
> reprinted in the Antenna Compendium Vol. 2, as well as some of the more
> recent Antenna Handbooks. His approach produces an inverted V  dipole
> which is useable at both ends of the 80M band. This one is on my "A" list
> of projects to try.

Before anyone does things the long and complicated way, have a
look at a bowtie element.

A bowtie element made from two wires fanned several feet at the
end will easily cover phone and CW on 80 meters and not have the
loss of a coaxial stub system.

By the way, I measured a Double Bazooka made by IAC and
reported to be a broadband solution. It had insignificant bandwidth
improvement over a regular dipole made of the same thickness
wire. It takes more than a simple parallel stub to do the job (like
the double bazooka uses). You have to modify the feed system
also.

Myself, I just use a bowtie element and avoid all the hassles, loss,
and wind load of hanging 15 pounds of coax in the air.

Disclaimer:

If you build a device I suggest and it does not work as promised, or
if through pure unvarnished stupidity you do something wrong and
get hurt, please don't sue me or libel me on Internet or on a Web
page. I am not in the business of guaranteeing your safety.

I am only responsible for refunding the money I charged you for my
advice, no matter how much some people think the world owes
them.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com