[TowerTalk] 80-75M Inverted Vee or Dipole

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:52:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/00 7:49:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, EAvila@caiso.com
writes:

<<
 I'm not a coax expert but in the electrical wiring world they make wire with
 jackets designed for direct burial and as long as the jacket seal isn't
 harmed will last a lot of years!!

 Building code in my part of the world sez if the cable is not direct burial
 it must be in conduct -- a bit more work to pull coax thru plastic pipe but
 then should last the lifetime of the cable and pipe will protect coax must
 better.......73

 k6sdw

In the past you must get coax that is desinged for burial. For example RG8U
would not last but RG8AU would last 20 years.  The AU also had a plastisizing
agent in the outer covering that didn't migrate to the center dialectric and
the outer covering would then crack without it--on purpose.  What has been
done lately I'm not sure.  A few more bucks for coax specifically designed
for burial would be a good investment to eliminate the bother of PVC pipe
although that is a good idea as cheap as it is.  If I had coax designed for
burial I think I still put shrink on tubing over it even at it's expense.  I
do at the top of the tower where it wraps around the mast--sometimes too
tight.  k7gco