[TowerTalk] wind load vs Rohn specs

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:55:37 -0400

On 9/12/00 10:53 AM, michael watts at wy6k@yahoo.com wrote:

>How about using streamlined elements?  Just like the
>steamlining cowls that we put around wires and tires
>on airplanes.  Anybody know how to make such a thing
>is telescoping sizes?

The problem with streamlining the elements is trying to tell which
direction the wind is coming from. Most antennas have to operating in an
environment of varying wind direction. And even if the wind direction is
fixed for a given locale, the antenna position isn't.

>I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not.

I assume you aren't.

Still, it should be possible to add drag-reduction devices to an antena.
Round members might benefit from adding turbulator tape (like the
stitches on a baseball), or perhaps a fuzzy surface (like a tennis ball).
There are also active methods of reducing drag, but none of these are
really practical. It would be cheaper / easier to just make the antenna
and support structure stronger.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales