[TowerTalk] wind load vs Rohn specs

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:58:39 -0400

At 09:11 AM 9/12/00 -0700, Ken wrote:

>Mike - You're not kidding!  Look at the pictures of aircraft antennas.
>It works, and people have been doing it for years, mostly for VHF / UHF
>antennas and for the masts for HF antennas.  The nice thing about a
>plane, of course is that under normal circumstances, the wind direction
>is known.  That would be do-able to some extent for big HF beams with a
>wind sensor and automated rotator.

You'd have to get quantitative to definitively answer this, but I have a
hunch that for less than 100 mph windspeed the area rather than the drag
coefficient is decisive in determining the amount of drag (isn't there a
V^2 in the equation someplace?)

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database