[TowerTalk] Advice on Cushcraft 40 meter repair

Mike Foerster mike.foerster@home.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:10:54 -0500

I've just re-assembled my TH11DX, taking all of the elements apart and
re-clamping them.

I found one that after I had it tightened, I could twist the element.  I
then checked ALL of the joints and
found about 5 or 6 that were still loose, in spite of the clamps appearing
tight.

I've wondered how common this is, considering that the chap that I bought
the antenna from
found one of the ends laying on the ground as well.

It seems that the clamps supplied with the systems will twist as you tighten
them, because of
the torque on them.   Then, with a little jarring, they can go loose.

Several of the clamps were bad so I used some hose clamps from my 77 280Z
that have a
screw & bolt that tighten them (stainless of course).  Very effective.
Better than the treaded
stainless clamps that the antenna was supplied with.

I do like the idea of the TEK screws though!!!

Mike