[TowerTalk] Advice on Cushcraft 40 meter repair

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:38:15 -0600

Why are you so opposed to tramming the antenna down?
Should take 10 minutes once the ropes are in place.
Fix the antenna and haul it right back up.  SIMPLE.
Two people can do the job.  Three if you want extra
insurance.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:09:30 -0500 "James H. Fitzpatrick, Jr."
<jhfitzpa@facstaff.wisc.edu> writes:

> Hello all:
> I am seeking advice on repairing my Cushcraft shorty 40 beam. The
> problem is
> simple. In some high winds this spring one of the tips of the driven
> element
> came loose and fell to the ground. The tip is undamaged. I merely
> need to
> place it back in the element and really tighten the clamp. My
> question is:
> Can anyone think of a reasonable way to do this without tramming the
> whole
> antenna to the ground? The antenna is mounted 1 foot above the flat
> top
> plate on 90 feet of Rohn 45. The tower is guyed at the very top,
> just below
> the antenna, and at the 60 and 30 foot levels. And yes Steve, I do
> know my
> guy wire tension with my magical Loos tension gauge. Because my
> station is
> located 250 miles north of where I live, major repairs are a bit
> problematic. It would be much esier if somehow I could do this near
> the top
> of the tower or part way down. I have a gin pole at the top of the
> tower and
> an electric winch for raising and lowering loads. My usual ground
> crew is 1
> other person. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
>
> Jim WI9WI
>

> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.