[TowerTalk] Advice on Cushcraft 40 meter repair

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:50:44 -0400

At 04:10 PM 9/13/00 -0500, Mike Foerster wrote:
...>I do like the idea of the TEK screws though!!!

Just be very careful not to overtighten them.  Many years ago, someone (I
forget which manufacturer) used metal tapping screws to secure elements.
Worked fine till one got overtightened and stripped, or if you drilled the
initial hole too large.  I did the following recently with some big TEK
screws and my 20-meter reflector would up in a treetop.

I think rivets are really rhe right answer for this service.  For bigger
things -- booms, etc. - it's too hard to pull rivets manually in the field,
so through bolts seem like the right answer.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at