[TowerTalk] Rotor and controlwire Quick disconnect. correction and availability de K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:52:12 -0500

Already one reader is ordering parts for a project and has informed me of a
typo in the original post.

The 9 pin AMP connectors as needed for rotor and control box are as follows
:

AMP connector on rotor pigtail for quick disconnect: 206705-2 (female
body/male
pins)

On control box : 206708-1 (male body/female pins)

These have proved themselves invaluable over the years for quickly
disconnecting cables up to 9 wires. Larger and smaller versions are
available and I use them up to 17 connections on other projects all the
time. Even bigger ones are available, for those super projects. All use the
same .093 pins and either male or female can be used in any body, per your
needs and as safety dictates. At this time  I can still supply the male pins
only for say 8 for a dollar,
and 33 cents postage on an as- needed basis. So far I have found no
inexpensive source for the female pins (of course they readily available at
the distributors for regular price).

Now I recommend the AMPs at both ends, so you can swap control boxes for
trouble shooting. You can even take the control box to the towertop for
service if needed, so make the pigtail a few feet long on the shack end, or
like I do, have a short jumper made up with the proper connectors.
I even built a rotor "mockup" jig for testing control boxes on the bench.
It has lights on it to indicate if the voltage is present on the brake,
left, and right motor leads, and a 500 Ohm pot (for Bell rotors) to feed
back direction indication to the bridge circuit, as well as breakout
terminals to test the motor capacitor with an external LCR meter (project
article due out soon on this). Although in my installation, the motor cap is
removed from the control box and resides near the rotor in a waterproof box.

The Tailtwister et.al. control box can be used on the HDR300 with a few
minor mods in the metering bridge circuit.

Now if you have a large bulkhead and single point ground panel somewhere,
with your lightning arrestors and TVI filters on it, and you want to have a
further disconnect there, for larger systems I recommend the 24 conductor
Jones connectors (Use Jones connectors INDOORS ONLY or well protected from
WX if must be used outdoors. AMP connectors AOK outdoors as-is). The reason
is that you can have at least 3 rotors, or
other combinations in a single plug, where it can be disconnected for
lightning purposes. Alternatively the disconnected plug can be inserted into
a dummy receptacle, in which all the pins are grounded to the panel.
Larger 10 pin Jones sets can be used in the same manner for power supplies.
Pins can be paralleled for high current. ( my PSUs are 150 and 50 Amp
Sorensons, 220V op, and  rack mounted remote from the rig, at the bulkhead,
and controlled from the shack).

Both these Jones connectors can be had from me in limited quantities and
various configurations for 10 USD per pair. See
http://homepages/dstream.net/K0FF/jones.jpeg for a picture.

A picture of my bulkhead/patch panel/single point ground/PSU/ PA/ coax relay
/ telephone-rotor-control wire- TV-coax lightning protect/ Beverage
interface/ preamp/ TVI filter RACK can be seen at:
http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/patchpanel.jpeg

73 Geo>K0FF