[TowerTalk] Choice of 40 meter antennas

Elliott Lawrence edl@pacbell.net
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:21:41 -0700

Well, after 14 years of service and several repairs over that time my
KLM 2-el 40 meter beam is on its last legs. Living a mile from the ocean
and with city polutants it is surprising it has lasted this long!

It is on the top of a stack about 12 feet above a TH7 with a A3WS in the
middle. The 40 is pointed at right angles to the other antennas. Don't
have any interaction problems with the other antennas.

Right now my replacement choices are the 2-el Cushcraft and the Force 12
EF-240. The main disadvantage to the Cushcraft is need for a boom
support that would require adding a mast extension so the present
antenna spacing is maintained. I have also seen comments regarding 15
meter interactions. The Force 12 is lighter and does not required a boom
support and can be pointed in the same direction as the other antennas
without causing 15 interaction. I operate mostly CW and would tune the
antenna for that end of the band.

I would appreciate any comments from those having experience with either
antenna in a stacked configuration. Is the tuning  of the Force 12 for
the cw portion of the band straight forward or are several adjustment
needed after initial assembly and installation? How is the actual 2:1
bandwidth compared to the specs?

Thanks in advance, 73
Elliott WA6TLA