[TowerTalk] Motorized Tuner Project DE K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:32:00 -0500

Just wanted to show the incredible motor units that I'm using in the remote
tuner project. These came from the Antenna Phasor at '4RJ and drove the
massive roller inductors and vac caps. He had the thing custom made by Gates
Radio (it was to phase antennas 20 and 40M in a controller manner, had 25 kW
slugs in the 1-5/8 Bird line sections, and 10A RF Ammeters in the incoming
lines, LC connectors etc).

Anyhow I stripped it and sold most of the components but kept these for my
own use. The motor is a 115VAC capacitor start, reversible, fitted with a
gear train at one end and a brake at the other. Off the main gear train is
driven a 5K precision 10 turn potentiometer, and this fed a 0-100 mA meter
on the control panel to verify position. On that same shaft is a series of
mechanical lugs, which keep count of the number of turns, and when the end
is near, they activate the limit switches.
The whole thing is inside a RFI treated box, and external wiring is via an
MS connector on the back.

I also kept the matching output gears as you can see in the photos.

I have a few  more of these than I  actually need for my project, and may be
persuaded to part with a few if anyone has a REAL special project in mind.
Contact me direct,as you might guess, when these are gone there will never
be anymore available.

http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/tuner/Motor.jpeg

http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/tuner/Brake.jpeg

http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/tuner/Gears.jpeg