FW: [TowerTalk] 40 M 4 sq vs yagi, summary

Finger, Bob Bob.Finger@DynCorp.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:51:08 -0400

Thanks folks!  My original 9/13 message asked for opinions on a 4 square 40
versus a yagi at about 70 feet for dxing.  I received replys from K8DX,
W9GTH, N4TZ/9, K7XX, K6HPX, K3ND, K8GL, KI7WX, KS4XG, K4SQR, K1VR, K1TTT,
N4KG, AA6WG, W7WHY, N7US, K3BHJ, N4ZR, N3KW and N4QB.  All helpful and well
thought out.

The opinions and observations run the gamut as one might expect.  There
appears to be much interest in phased verticals, but some folks have not had
good success with them.  Everyone talks about the difficulty of keeping BIG
yagi's in the air/need for maintenance on the linear loaded yagi.

Perhaps the most prophetic was from K8DX who wrote; "I'd take the Yagi if
over 70', but installation and maintenance
are BIG considerations.  If you can stand to eventually work
the DX after the guys with Yagi's have, go with the 4SQ."

The most scientific came from Mr. 4 sq himself, K4SQR who wrote; "I will
relay this experience by one of our Comtek ACB-40 (and an ACB-80 +
ACB-160 user as well!) DX 4-Square customers.

After installing a 3 el. full size 40m yagi at 65 ft. on a 120 ft. tower,
he ordered the 40m unit and installed a 40m 4-Square. For one year, the 3
el. yagi and 4-SQR were "A & B'd", during which time, the yagi was raised
to 75', then to 90'. At the 90' level, the yagi would be sronger during
band openings, and the 4-SQR when low angles were prime. (The 4-SQR was
the dominant antenna when the yagi was at 60' and 75'.) Now, the yagi is
raised to 120 feet, and became the dominant antenna at all times, ie,
band opening, closing etc.. After the testing period, he telephoned me to
report results, then added bits via a fax."

Looks like the best bet for me, as a dx hound, for which the primary rule
has to be always ready and always on the band is to go with the 4 square
over a loaded yagi up only 70 feet or so.  Contesters etc may feel
differently.  Of course, as was stated one needs something else for short
hops in addition.

Looks like I need to find a piece of land big enough to accomodate the 40
meter four square, along with tower for the high bands and an 80 meter
vertical and EWE.  Now the hunt begins!

A special thanks to the hams on/near the eastern shore who have been so kind
to extend a hand when I get there and have already made me feel welcome.
True ham spirit! 73  Bob W9GE