[TowerTalk] 9914 Bury flex vs 9913

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:33:41 EDT

I ran test this week comparing 9914 Bury flex to that of standard 9913.  I
did so because I thought I might have a coax problem with the 9914 bury flex
running to my 40 meter 4-SQR.  I was very impressed with Steven Davis,  of
Davis RF, who helped me understand how the bury flex is put together and his
assistance in helping me understand the test results.  After measuring loss
in dB's, of a 375 foot of 9914 Bury flex to that of a 390 foot run of 9913,
the bury flex tested superior and showed to be in excellent condition.

While the numbers reflected below by the test instruments may not be 100%
precise, as I was utilizing a low cost analyzer, the scale of the measurement
showed the following results, of dB's lost, over the distance of each coax
tested:

MHz                           9914 Bury Flex              Standard 9913
                 1.8MHz                        0.7dB
         1.1dB          loss
3.5MHz                        1.3dB                                   1.6dB
7.0MHz                        1.7dB                                   1.7dB
10 MHz                        1.9dB                                   2.0dB
14MHz                         2.3dB                                   2.5dB
21MHz                         2.9dB                                   2.9dB
30MHz                         3.2dB                                   3.4dB
50MHz                         4.6dB                                   5.1dB

These results show that the 9914 bury flex is a good choice for me as I
needed a coax I could bury and would be less susceptible to water damage.
There is often discussions on finding good coax companies on Towertalk.  I
found the customer service of Davis RF to be excellent.  Steven Davis
contacted me at home, after hours, as well as taking my initial call to his
company during day right away.  He also indicated from the first call, that
if the coax had any problems, they would ship out replacement coax right
away.  That encouraged me to go out and make sure my test results were ok,
and it worked out for both of us.   I learned a lot, the coax is fine,  and I
now have a company for coax I can trust-

73  Paul  N0AH