[TowerTalk] Grid dip meters ///reply de K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 05:15:40 -0500

Bob,
The Millens (tube type)are going for around $100 USD with the basic soil
set. You can pay a premium for the LF coils, which cover all the way down to
220 kc. With the accessory Antenna Bridge, you need the tube type dipper, as
the later solid state version does not have to required drive.

The Heaths are only worth less than $50 USD at Hamfests around here, but I
like them for some things because they are battery operated.

One of the best ever dippers is the Measurments Model 59, and these older
but wonderful units are often overlooked at Hamfests. By using a two piece
design, it was tailored to your needs by adding the appropriate tuning head,
which plugged into the table top power supply / metering unit via a
cable.The basic coils set covers the usual HF-VHF range but two special
"Heads" are available. The LF unit goes all the way down to 100 kc, and the
UHF covers up to 940 Mc. I've used the UHF unit already to build
interdigital filters for 903.

Specifically for making stubs I would recommend the MFJ 259 Analyzer. It
does a remarkable job and is one of the most versatile and sophisticated
instruments to be offered to the Ham community. Tuning stubs is effortless,
and takes into account the connector lead length, and can be way more
accurate that GD'ing because no coupling loop is needed. There is even an
accessory kit that turns the thing INTO a grid dipper, for the usual
coil-capacitor tanks circuit testing. Mine is an older model and makes basic
measurements, but I understand the current models do much more. I would like
to update someday...........

I'll put pictures of all these on my webpage as soon as I clear enough space
on the bench to takes the photos.

P.S. I use all the different units talked about above, and have all  the
accessories EXCEPT the coils set for the '59 LF head. If anyone can lead me
to an available set, or engineering data so I can wind my own ( probably not
practical, they're sure to have used Litz wire), it would be appreciated.

Happy Building, Geo>K0FF