[TowerTalk] Winding Beverage RX Balun de K0FF

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 06:05:46 -0600

AMEN !

I used to use small cores with small wires but kept
losing them to nearby lightning strikes, especially on
my East Beverage which runs parallel to my incoming
power line for 150 ft, spaced 50 ft.

After going to 1 inch diameter cores and #20 wire,
no more problems.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 "Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it> writes:

> After some bad experiences, to prevent damages from (indirect)
> lightning
> strikes I stopped with using small cores and thin wires turning in
> favour of
> medium-large toroidal ferrite cores (AL = 4000, or more),  and also
> thicker
> winding wires.
> This produces a transformer that's more symilar to a transmitting
> than to
> receiving device, but finally it's not a disadvantage.
> With a convenient (for a practical winding on a board) primary of
> 2-3/4
> turns and  8-3/4 turns in the secondary, the transformer perfectly
> covers 5
> octaves, obviously including the 160m band.
>
> 73,
> Mauri I4JMY

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.