[TowerTalk] Open wire line some important points

n7ws@azstarnet.com n7ws@azstarnet.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:44:57 -0700

At 10:41 AM 9/14/00 -0400, Bob Otto wrote:

>Hello Tom,
>
>I'm committed to using coax (I'll get that outta the way!  <G>).  I
>will have three antennas I think, a Force12 C31XR, Force12 WARC 2/2,
>and a Force12 MAG 240N on top of a 88' or 96' aluminum Heights Tower.
>(yes, I reduced it from the planned 112' to increase wind sail margin
>for the three antennas).  I will need three runs of coax approximately
>150' in length.  What coax would you all recommend as the BEST coax
>for durability and least loss?  Single center wire or multistrand?
>What kind of connectors? If I use a hardline, should I use multistrand
>for the last 20' at the top for rotation of the antennas or do I
>negate the advantage of using hardline by adding a coupling?
>
>I will also have 2M/70CM antennas on the side of the tower at lower
>heights.  What is recommended there?   The coax length would be
>probably 100'-150'.
>
>I appreciate the input -- I'm trying to get my "list of material" put
>together.

Bob,

If cost is no object, use 1/2" Heliax everywhere.  Twenty feet of RG-213
for rotation would be fine and the additional connector loss is nil.

For 70cm if this is weak signal work (I suspect not) you might even go to
7/8" Heliax.

"UHF" connectors will be good at hf; you might consider "N"s for 2m and
definitely use them at 70cm.

73,

Wes  N7WS