[TowerTalk] Underground coax splice

Michael Bruss mlbruss@ucdavis.edu
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

This is slightly off-topic since it involves video rather than radio coax,
but I can't thinks of a better group to ask.

I need to install a 1100 ft. run of RG-6 underground.  I can't find a
source for lengths over 1000 ft (does anyone know of a source?).  So, I
need to do a splice.  I could do it above ground, but to put the above-
ground splice box in a safe location, a run of 900 ft plus a run of 400 ft
would have to be used, and the splice box would have to be mounted on a
steel post imbedded in concrete.  The other way is to splice it
underground using two male F connectors on the coax that are joined to a
female-female adapter.  How do I water-proof this assembly?  Will this be
reliable enough, or should I do the more laborious and expensive
above-ground splice?

Thanks, Mike, KF6IMS