[TowerTalk] Open wire line convert

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:43:04 EDT

<  a message dated 9/16/00 6:26:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:<    Hi Jay,

   I don't try to match the ladder line to 50 ohms.  I'm using my
   ladder line fed antennas on several bands so I accept the
   mismatch at the antenna and use Johnson Matchboxes
   at the transmitter end. KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid).
   Works for me.  For 50 ohm antennas I just use CATV hard-line
   in multiples of 1/2 WL.  For verticals, I use coaxial transformers
   to transform 17 to 35 ohms up to 75 ohms +/- a bit.

   73,  Tom

  Every once in a while in the area of suggesting better ways to do things
someone comes along who has found the same thing and supports the cause
despite the brick bats of all the know it all's who even admit they have
never used or tried it (the weakest of credibilty positions).  Would you
believe I actually levitated out of my chair when I read Tom's Post here.  It
was obvious to me that he was a sharp and deadly analyst of transmission
theory able to see though all the conventional nonsense that is jammed down
our throat by the "Kraus Wannabes."  It takes some years to get a grasp of
financial and technical reality in Ham Radio and inparticular--low loss and
inexpensive transmission lines.  I only suggest and anyone is free to use
what they want but should at least allow the free flow of suggestions without
constant reticule as it makes for a strong and informative Reflector.

  I am awarding Tom N4KG the "K7GCO Smart Transmission Line Amateur of the
Month Award #1" for high technical intelligence and good operating low cost
low loss practices.  He even used 1/2 WL multiples of CATV hard-line and then
!/4 WL lines for matching.  Tell us more of what you have there Tom.  Others
have likewise illustrated great technical insights in other areas and will be
recognized.  Recognition for "Technical Excellence" has been sadly missing.
K7GCO >>

 In a message dated 9/16/00 6:33:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,