[TowerTalk] Blackened Sheild on Belden Coax?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:52:30 -0400

> Your blackened braid is a result of old cable where ultra violet light of
> the sun has contaminated your coax jacket.    It will happen usually at
> about 10 years old.   Best to just not use that stuff.   Not worth the
> problems you will have when things "just dont seem to match" if not now,
> later.   A common problem with older coax.
>
> 73
> Mike
> K0BUD

Hi Mike,

Any time I've had "blackened braid", it has been from water. It
doesn't matter if the cable is one month old, if I get water in the
cable the braid turns black and loss goes way up.

I have plenty of ten year old or older coax that has been exposed to
the sun and is as good as new, as long as it didn't get wet inside.

As for current causing it, I've even melted some lines that had the
unfortunate luck of being in the wrong SWR at the wrong time and
never seen the braid change color. I can't imagine the braid getting
so hot as to discolor and not having the dielectric melt!

Coax depends on the weave making a solid connection in the
braid. Once it gets tarnished, loss goes up. This is especially true
on higher frequencies. Remember skin effects try to keep the
current on the inside of the braid and on the braid surface. When
the woven strands can't make good electrical connection, losses
increase.

That's one reason why braiding should never be used for lightning
grounds, another is it already has several times the RF resistance
of a smooth conductor of the the same dimensions.

I wonder what other people's experiences are?
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com