[TowerTalk] Open wire line convert

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:59:19 -0600

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000  "w0hh" <w0hh@msn.com> writes:

> Thanks Wes, for revealing the ugly truth about "open wire" feeders.

	Actually, the N7WS post refered to phase differences
	in long COAX (hardline) runs, NOT open-wire line.
	Or perhaps you meant his web reference. Please
	be more clear.  N4KG

> I always thought this stuff belonged back in the 1930's. And I thought
> it had  died a well deserved death right after WW2, when coax became
> widely  available, and most rational people switched over.

	SO,  I YOU don't like some particular alternative
	it must be IRRATIONAL for ANYONE to use it?

	Are you one of those MY WAY or the Highway
	kind of guys?

	Lets keep the name calling off TowerTalk.
	Try the AMPS reflector if that is your style.

I don't think you can beat a  good quality coax cable, especially
if a good performing tuner is used,  when needed. These modern
tuners, such as my ATR-30, sure are hard to  beat.

	Of course good quality coax is a good solution for
	MATCHed systems.  It is NOT a good solution for
	multi-frequency use of a SINGLE antenna.  Ever
	calculate your line losses feeding an 80M dipole
	on 40 (or 20, or 15, or 10) using COAX?   N4KG

	ALL alternatives have their place.  Let's keep an
	open mind and NOT be so critical of those who
	choose to use something other than our own
	pet solutions.    de  Tom   N4KG

>  73 Tom W0HH

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.