[TowerTalk] Was: Open wire line convert

n7ws@azstarnet.com n7ws@azstarnet.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:46:50 -0700

A brief (maybe) follow-up..

The main object of most of what I have written is to inspire the reader to
_think_ about what he is doing, rather than accept "conventional wisdom."

The cable length example I concocted was only that; an example. I wanted
the reader to think about the ramifications of pruning the line length and
then make a decision about the "goodness" of that technique.  In the
example cited, I don't believe it makes any practical difference whether
the line is pruned or not.

Neither do I think that ladder line is totally impractical for a lot of
applications.  It certainly has its place in the list of options.  The
reader must decide on the suitability for each application.  My goal was to
supply information to assist in an informed decision.

For those who have Mathcad, a worksheet that implements the equations used
in the ladder line paper and that I used in the earlier example can be
download at:

http://www2.arrl.org/notes/7431/

Similar calculation aids are Dean Straw's programs "Tl" and TLA"

73,

Wes  N7WS