[TowerTalk] Blackened Sheild on Belden Coax?

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:26:08 +0000

This brings up two questions.  It should be that the inside of the
shield carries all the current for coax. Thus if only the outside of
the shield is blackened there should be no effect. However braded
shields where the little wires weave in and out seems to confound
things. As pointed out, IF the wires have perfect contact with those
next to it, then crud on the outside won't matter a bit. Could it be
that the blackened stuff will choke off reflected outer shield
currents and actually help more than it hurts?  I thought that certain
coax cables did not do this.  My understanding was that weathering
causes the migration of the rubber onto the shield.  Are we talking
about two separate mechanisms here?

The next question regards the copper oxide coating that all antenna
wires get.  How thick is it relative to the skin depth?  Does it have
any practical negative effect?