[TowerTalk] Re: What was his name

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:11:38 -0400

> Earl Madman Muntz (I think he is credited with inventing of the 8-track -
> could be wrong)

I remember Muntz TV's very well. I worked at a TV shop in the 60's,
when they were "popular". When I'd open the back of a Muntz TV,
I'd be amazed at how few components were inside.

I also remember how unreliable they were and how poorly they
worked.

I had TVI on 80 meters into a Muntz TV almost 3 miles away, and I
was only running a few hundred watts to a single 1/4 wl vertical!

Mr. Muntz left out all the shielding and bypass capacitors that
weren't needed.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com