[TowerTalk] Re: Making and spacing stubs - questions

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:06:17 -0400

Hi Bob,

I sent you a longer reply in e-mail, but thought this one comment
might be of more general interest.

> Since I operate contests on both CW and SSB, would I lose a significant
> amount of attenuation if I cut the stubs for the "middle" of the band or
> should I cut separate stubs for CW vs. SSB and then swap them depending on
> which mode I am using?  Is this really necessary?  Even if I use two sets
> of stubs, one for each radio?

Have you tested your system to see if you need all those stubs?
All the stub does is prevent overload by harmonic energy. Most
amplifiers are over 50 dB down. That's only about a dozen
milliwatts or so of harmonic energy!

I would expect your receivers to be the real problem.

What do other multi-multi stations find???

Here at my house, when I operate 160 meters, my 80 meter
harmonic is only S9 or so with no external filters on my amplifier!!!!!

Personally, I think everyone would be better off using LC traps
rather than stubs....and that they would be most useful on the
receivers.

What do others who have tried it both ways find???

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com