[TowerTalk] (no subject)

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:04:11 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/00 5:57:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
depagnier@uswest.net writes:

<<
 K7GCO@aol.com wrote:

 >   Hi-Q trap circuits has it's applications but in antenna traps I'd like
to see
 > some data
 > to really support it.  Lo-Q traps work just fine.  Data on Hi-Q traps seems
 > to be just "academic."  No one seems to be using them in antennas worth
 > observable benefits.    K7GCO

 I am no expert in this field but by definition, low Q means high loss. Q is
the
 ratio of reactance to resistance in a parallel RLC network. A trap is
essentially
 a parallel RLC network. While low Q traps are better behaved and less
finincky
 than high Q traps, they are lossy and thus rob gain from the antenna. While I
 have no data to back this up, I'll bet a dollar to a donut that if pattern
tests
 are run on an antenna with high Q traps and the same antenna with low Q
traps,
 the high Q traps will result in higher gain (no brainer).

 73
 Dave

No one has proved it yet and no manufacturer has really Hi-Q traps.  The
first requirement of a trap is to isolate and establish a resonant length of
conductor which a low SWR can be established on the feedline.  When that is
obtained and various other positive indications, one tends to think there is
little left to accomplish.  In the patterns in Eznec I developed just with
the lowest Q trap of high inductance (that leaked) I didn't see any visible
change in the dipole pattern.  I didn't measure and compare exactly but just
for the hell of it I will.  However, for a dipole on 160-40, gain is the last
thing I'm worrying about.  If it bothers you, make a test set up and you find
out for sure in yagi's also and you won't lose a dollar or a donut.  That's a
"no brainer" also.  Since you brought it up and made the bet, the
responsibility to provide the data is in your lap now.  I eliminate loss when
I know it hurts me and that is why I use no trapped elements with soldered
joints.  I have all kinds of data proving the affects of bad joints and very
few seems to care about that area of loss.  That's a "some kind of another
brainer."  Joint reactance's inserted into each yagi joint will affect the
gain, F/B and you can bet every cent you got and the whole bakery on that
one. With a quad you don't have to worry about that with the one well
soldered joint.    k7gco