[TowerTalk] Blackened Sheild on Belden Coax?

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:41:18 +0100

James Sawyer wrote:

>It sounds as if you where hit by lightening.
>
>Jim

That's a possibility...

As Tom said earlier, by feeding in RF from a transmitter you couldn't
possibly heat the shield enough to blacken it, without totally melting
the PE insulation inside (that's because most of the heat is released in
the center conductor) Anyhow, the 21-22ft repeat pattern doesn't tie up
with a high SWR at 14MHz.

On the other hand, if it really was RF heating damage (and the presence
of a repeat pattern argues that way) then lightning would probably be
the only way to get large shield currents in a repeating pattern,
without overheating the inside.

The only other way to get a 21-22ft repeat is if the cable was at some
time manufactured/stored on a 6ft drum.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek