[TowerTalk] Really long RX Beverages de K0FF

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 05:19:35 -0600

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000  "K0FF" <K0FF@ARRL.NET> writes:

	SNIP

> The way he described the setup,  CW worked fine,
> but when they transmitted voice on AM, the receive antennas
> (very long wires)  were so sharp that they rejected the carrier
> and one  sideband, and they had to reinsert it at the receive end,
> as if the signal were  SSB.
>
> 73, Geo>K0FF

	This sounds somewhat suspicious.  A  TUNED  LF
	antenna will have a 'sharp' (narrowband) frequency
	response as described but a terminated Beverage
	is a BROADBAND antenna.

	Low Frequency TRANSMITTING antennas are
	subject to such narrow responses.  This problem
	is also seen in the ultra low frequency systems
	used to	communicate with submarines.
	LONG  LIVE  CW !

	It is my understanding that LONG Beverages
	become self limiting in BEAMWIDTH at
	approximately 30 degrees, presumably due
	to system losses.

	de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.