Re[2]: [TowerTalk] HF2-V Doorknob Capacitor Failures

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:30:05 -0400

I'm not sure, but I believe RTV is a petroleum based product.  We used
to use it on aircraft engine to seal all kinds of things.  One thing I
do know, it has a shelf life, and cannot be shipped by air without
special permits (that's why I THINK it's petroleum based).  If I'm
right, this means it may not be the best product to use in your
application.

I've used the GE silicone material (clear, 50 year guarantee) you buy
at Home Depot, etc., for all kinds of projects and have never had a
moisture or UV failure. I used it to coat my cable connections and
they never leaked in years of use.  I also used it to seal the open
ends of the cable connections to my antennas. I've even used it to
coat the area between the bolt head and wire for grounds -- it
completely seals it and keeps the connection from corroding over time.
The stuff isn't cheap, and makes on ugly connection <G>, but it works
and has had no chemical or electrical impact on anything I've ever
used it on. It sticks to most anything, but is a bit difficult to get
off if you need to repair something. You darned near have to cut it
off with a knife. I've tried some other silicone products, but none
have worked nearly as well as the GE silicone material.

73's from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!