[TowerTalk] Doorknob Capacitor Failures/wxproofing

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 07:11:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/00 7:03:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, N3SL@aol.com
writes:

>    I'm certainly not arguing with you, and with that much experience I'm
not
>  putting any money on my memory.  But, I recall (way back in the brain)
that
>  the silicone based products contain either acetic acid, or something that
>  becomes acetic acid during the curing process.  I've probably got this
>  confused with something totally different.  Or, are there different types
of
>  silicone products you might be referring to?  I'm thinking of something
> along the lines of silicone "tub and tile" caulk.  Any insight would be
>  appreciated, as I spend lots of bucks and time on ScotchKote and tape for
>  joints, and if it's unnecessary, I won't bother.  That ScotchKote is nasty
>  stuff in its own right....

    RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) is the material that outgasses the
acetic acid which is why it is NOT recommended for connector joints.

    ScotchKote is designed primarily for buried joints and will flake off of
outdoor connections in a few years. I've been using the Liquid Electrical
Tape over Scotch 33/88 tape with great success - both available from Home
Depot, etc.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech