[TowerTalk] KLM 2 ele 40 mtr beam

Ken Eigsti diverken@chaffee.net
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:08:42 -0600

Hi,
Wonder if anyone that has the KLM 2 ele  40 meter beam has experienced this
problem.

It has worked great for a couple of years and I am in the mountains with
low humidity and no salt problems, but now it is maddeningly intermittant.
>From flat SWR to infinity and it seems to go clear up (flat SWR) when power
is applied. Also I hear a static popping sound, up to S9, even when there
are no storms in the area. The antenna is at a ham rental location and I am
not always certain what happens when guys operate and am wondering if the
balun could be bad. Since the SWR at the CW end is pretty high and if
someone would not have used the tuner, could the balun have been blown?
(Balun is one of those white 1:1 round cylinders that clips on to a mount
on the boom)

I have replaced coax to antenna. I thought about a loose connection on the
element, but would the SWR go to infinity with just an intermittant
connection on an element? Maybe 2 or 3 to 1 but not like a short.

I've just gotten out of the hospital with 2 feet less of my colon, so I
won't be able to climb the tower for a few months,but really wanted to see
if anyone has had a similar problem and can offer some advice.

73
Ken W0LSD